Proven tester special testing procedures: PackageKit?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jul 29 21:01:36 UTC 2010

We've talked about special proven testers testing procedures for
kernels, and now another candidate for special test procedures has
emerged: PackageKit. A bug in PackageKit got out in a Fedora 13 update
which broke update notification, which is obviously a big problem.
PackageKit isn't actually on the critical path for F13, but it is for
F14 and up.

So, I'd like to propose a special testing procedure for updates to
PackageKit (actually, any package management-related critpath update
should be tested in this way). As well as testing package installation,
we should test update notification and installation for such updates. We
can consider different ways of doing this, but an easy way would be
simply to 'yum downgrade' an installed package, then wait: within a
short time (I'll have to check how long with Richard, I think 30 minutes
or an hour), an update notification should appear to let you know an
update is available to that package. If not, we have problems.

If everyone thinks this makes sense, I'll propose a wiki draft which
sets up a system for package-specific testing procedures and drafts such
a procedure for PackageKit. What does everyone think of this? Thanks!