ProvenTester F14 Upgrade Issues

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Jul 31 17:57:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 12:49 -0400, Bob Lightfoot wrote:
> Dear Testers:
>      Adam mentioned that going from F13 to F14 was a bit busted in his
> last post.  I've found that following the usual procedure of 1) yum
> install fedora-release-rawhide and 2) yum --disablerepo=*
> --enablerepo=rawhide fails on the second step for several broken
> dependancies.  Using --skip-broken doesn't improve things by much as you
> just run into a bunch of broken dependancies you can't skip.  Adam you
> hinted you might have to remove certain packages but I'm unsure as to
> what might need to be removed.  I've got two VM's one for i686 and then
> other for x8664 when I can rawhide/F14alpha installed/upgraded to them.
> Anyone else wrestling with this quandry have some insight for a new
> Proventester?

Anything that the update complains about, really. =) The problem is with
Python and Boost rebuilds; not all packages have been successfully
rebuilt for Python 2.7 / Boost 1.44 yet, and the ones that haven't will
fail to upgrade. You'll see them complaining about dependencies on
version 1.41 of some Boost library, or version 2.6 of python(abi) or
libpython. These packages you'll just have to remove, for now.

IIRC, with a clean F13 live install, I had to remove notify-python and
gnome-dvb-daemon to do the upgrade, might have been one other I don't
remember. On a system installed from DVD, or which you've been using for
a while and have installed extra apps on, there may be more.

There are fixed versions of most of the offending packages in Koji, and
they may have made it to updates-testing by today.