Announcing ProvenTesters Policy

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Jun 3 20:51:25 UTC 2010

> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 15:00 -0400, James Laska wrote:
>
> > We've also been accumulating group membership requests.  Are we ready to
> > start processing these requests?
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&component=Proventester+Mentor+Request&order=priority
>
> I guess one thing we should agree on first is what we will be 'teaching'
> our applicants. =)
>
> I think so far we've informally wound up working on this logic:
>
> 1. We're expected to review 'critical path' updates
> 2. The 'critical path' definition is about being able to boot the
> system, start a graphical desktop, and do updates

I believe so.  From [1], "The critical path is defined as the set of
packages required to perform the most fundamental actions on a Fedora
system."

The detailed list of actions in the original critpath definition [2]
include:

    * graphical network install
    * post-install booting
    * decrypt encrypted filesystems
    * graphics
    * login
    * networking
    * get updates
    * minimal buildroot
    * compose new trees
    * compose live

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Critical_Path_Packages
[2]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Critical_Path_Packages_Proposal#What_is_the_critical_path_of_actions.3F

> 3. Therefore we ought to be looking at whether the packages contain
> regressions which break these: we should look at updates from the
> perspective of whether they prevent us from carrying out critical path
> tasks

> is that roughly accurate, for a first cut?

Definitely!

> Alternatively, we could use the release criteria, and check that updates
> don't introduce regressions which would infringe the release criteria.
> This is effectively a superset of the first option, as part of what the
> release criteria enforce is the critical path functionality.

This seems like a good long-term goal to help us determine how to
grow/extend the current process.  I imagine we want to use the same
process/tools to encourage non-critpath updates testing as well.

> (Boy, the grammar in this post is horrible!)

Heh, wait until you read this :)

Thanks,
James