QA recommendations for F-14

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Jun 24 15:47:25 UTC 2010

> On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 09:48 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>
> > > I'd really rather not, it's still necessary in quite a lot of cases. My
> > > laptop, fr'instance, where intel or nouveau (or both, depending which
> > > graphics adapter you select) will cheerfully try to load, but fail
> > > miserably and leave the system non-functional. I'd much rather get a
> > > full install with VESA than a minimal text install, which would be my
> > > only option if you killed 'basic video driver' install.
> >
> > Do people really not do VNC installs?
>
> I don't think it's particularly common. It's certainly not as evident a
> choice as 'basic video driver', and if you don't use VNC regularly
> anyway it's not necessarily going to pop into your mind as an obvious
> option. And not everyone has two machines handy at all times.

The installer does prompt you to try VNC instead of text mode.  It
should probably do so before attempting to launch X with vesa.

I'm just saying, if KMS doesn't work, I don't even attempt vesa, I just
go straight to VNC.  Maybe I'm too close to the implementation, in that
I know all the ways vesa won't work (Xen guests, things that aren't PCs,
EFI machines, any of the five thousand x86 emulator bugs...).  But I
don't understand trying something that could fail before trying
something that'll definitely work.

- ajax