QA recommendations for F-14

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 17:45:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > Do people really not do VNC installs?
>>
>> I don't think it's particularly common. It's certainly not as evident a
>> choice as 'basic video driver', and if you don't use VNC regularly
>> anyway it's not necessarily going to pop into your mind as an obvious
>> option. And not everyone has two machines handy at all times.
>
> The installer does prompt you to try VNC instead of text mode.  It
> should probably do so before attempting to launch X with vesa.
>
> I'm just saying, if KMS doesn't work, I don't even attempt vesa, I just
> go straight to VNC.  Maybe I'm too close to the implementation, in that
> I know all the ways vesa won't work (Xen guests, things that aren't PCs,
> EFI machines, any of the five thousand x86 emulator bugs...).  But I
> don't understand trying something that could fail before trying
> something that'll definitely work.

I am guessing the failure to use VNC probably comes down to:

1) Does the person have another computer that they can use VNC from
(or is this there sole box)
2) What does 15 years of RHL/Fedora documentation say to use if you
are an old hand (or if you use google to debug something)
3) Is an unencrypted VNC going to be allowed on your local network or
going to cause any sorts of 'issues' (this is more of a corporate/gov
thing).

When we had installs working over just plain X in the past #1 and #2
came up the most on testers as stuff they didn't do. #3 came up from
people who thought it was the same as telneting into the system to do
an install or had various NIDS systems that looked for VNC as a hacker
tool.

Do we ship windows or mac versions of the VNC tool so that if I have a
seperate system running something else I can use it?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.