Proposed release criteria additions for F14+

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Fri Jun 25 07:14:58 UTC 2010

----- "Adam Williamson" <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the cross-post, but figured it's worth CCing devel in case
> anyone has concerns on these.
>
> I'm currently working on a plan to expand desktop validation testing.
> As
> part of the discussion around this, Christoph Wickert proposed
> several
> additions to the release criteria that seem sensible to me. I'd like
> propose we add these to the criteria for F14 and on:
>
> * Saving passwords in the desktop default keyring (if the desktop
>  implements one), and retrieving passwords from the keyring, must
> work
>
> * The desktop default update manager must not periodically check for
>  updates when the system is booted live, but must periodically check
> for
>  updates when running on an installed system

How hard is this to check?

> * The desktop's offered mechanisms for shutting down, logging out and
>  rebooting must work

> Anyone have comments or objections to these?

And what about this one additional:

 * Network interfaces must be configured properly and automatically
  enabled on boot so that Internet/LAN connection works by default
  whenever possible. This requirement does not apply when custom
  networking properties are chosen during installation process.

I'm talking about the infamous "feature" of Fedora that forces user
to enable networking every time after boot if he installed the system
from DVD (most cases anyway). It is really bad experience, we should
make sure it doesn't happen next time.