Proven testers: mentoring

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jun 30 18:25:34 UTC 2010

So, we need to move fast with proven testers, as I said last night :)

Given that, here's a quick off-the-top-of-my-head set of suggestions for
proven tester mentoring. I'm not trying to hijack this process or
anything, I just want to get something out there so we can get started
and make sure we're able to accept the applications we have right now so
we can get people out there testing.

We obviously don't have instructions for the mentoring process yet, and
it'd help to have some. I'll try and draft a wiki page for this soon,
which Aaron will inevitably make much better. =) In the mean time,
here's some quick thoughts.

We have 14 open proventester requests. Easiest way to see them all is
from this trac report:

https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/report/9

all the tickets under 'Proventester Mentor Request Release'. We should
aim to accept these ASAP. Those of us who are already proventester
members - see
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/group/members/proventesters -
should try and grab two or three of these requests each.

We should then point our...mentor-ees?...to the proven tester
instructions page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Proven_tester

and ask them to confirm that they've read the instructions, and that
they're familiar with the process of enabling updates-testing and using
the web interface or fedora-easy-karma to post feedback on updates. Then
we should ask them to apply to the proventesters FAS group, and then
sponsor them into the group. Ask them to let you know when they've filed
their first batch of update feedback, and quickly look over it to make
sure it looks in line with what we're aiming for.

This is all coming off the top of my head, as I said, but I think it
should be enough to get us going. Please do raise any suggestions,
improvements, or anything I left out in my process. If anyone would like
to go ahead and draft a mentor instructions Wiki page before I can (I've
got to write the FWN QA beat next), please do!

Alright, I'm off to pick a group of mentor-ees :)