Weird Issue With GStreamer

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 12:11:08 UTC 2010

Lately nautilus had troubles (both in f12 and f13) generating previews
for certain videos (I'm aware of those in mkv/h264/aac format) and totem
just froze on (with CPU usage at 100 %) them as well. So I tried one of
the videos running via gst-launch while constructing the pipeline
manually like this:

gst-launch filesrc location=<video-file> ! matroskademux name=v
v.subtitle_00 ! queue ! sub. v.video_00 ! queue ! decodebin !
ffmpegcolorspace ! assrender name=sub ! ffmpegcolorspace ! videoscale !
xvimagesink v.audio_00 ! queue ! decodebin ! pulsesink

And it worked! And what's even more interesting it fixed the problem for
totem as well. I wonder if there are some issues with playbin(2) (or
maybe it's connected to the recent inclusion of some of the
gst-plugins-bad into fedora proper, as it stopped working approx. around
that time)... And no, it was not fixed by some update as I tried it in
totem -- didn't work -- tried it in gst-launch -- worked -- then tried
some matroska files with theora inside -- worked -- then retried one of
the previously non-working files -- worked. All these steps followed
directly one after one.

The problem is, as it is now working, I don't have the means to
reproduce it (at least not on f12, I can retry on f13) and I'm not sure
what component to fill a bug against... Plus, if the issue is only with
mkv/h264/aac, I'll probably have troubles providing a file to test it
on...

Anyone having similar issues? Any pointers?

Thanks,
Martin