F13 a4 x86_64 netinst - default partitioning, default set of software

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Mon Mar 1 15:18:55 UTC 2010

> > 1) on the software selection screen, I have unchecked
> > desktop and selected server ... but still I got the full
> > GNOME desktop installed (not to mention all the i18n/IM and
> > such stuff) - not exactly what you'd use for serving web
> > pages and VCS repositories
> > (well, I didn't do manual package selection, just the
> > generic groups)
>
> What shows up in %packages in your /root/anaconda-ks.cfg file?

%packages
@admin-tools
@base
@core
@czech-support
@editors
@gnome-desktop
@graphical-internet
@hardware-support
@java
@online-docs
@text-internet
@web-server
@base-x
xfsprogs
mtools
gpgme
gvfs-obexftp
hdparm
gdm
%end

^ well, gnome-desktop and graphical-internet? why?

=> bug?

and the real list of the groups after the installation:

# LANG=C yum grouplist
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Setting up Group Process
Installed Groups:
   Administration Tools
   Arabic Support
   Armenian Support
   Authoring and Publishing
   Base
   Czech Support
   Dial-up Networking Support
   Editors
   Educational Software
   Electronic Lab
   Engineering and Scientific
   Fonts
   Games and Entertainment
   Georgian Support
   Graphical Internet
   Graphics
   Hardware Support
   Hebrew Support
   Input Methods
   Inuktitut Support
   Japanese Support
   Java
   Korean Support
   Lao Support
   Legacy Fonts
   Mail Server
   MySQL Database
   Network Servers
   Office/Productivity
   Printing Support
   Russian Support
   Server Configuration Tools
   Sound and Video
   System Tools
   Tajik Support
   Text-based Internet
   Ukrainian Support
   Venda Support
   Web Server
   X Window System

=> another bug? - how can I get 40 groups installed when only 13
were selected?
(did I miss something, are those groups of groups? - I haven't
found such)

what should I do with all those Support groups, I can't speak
Japanese and I even did not know what is "Venda"? (no offense, I
just don't live in Africa and I'm perfectly okay with the fact
that some people know nothing about Czech :-))

> > 2) the default partitioning scheme seems a bit strange to me

> Unfortunately, I don't think the default partitioning scheme
> will ever work for everyone.

yeah, I understand - I just wondered what are the reasons, if
there is really no room for improvement

and Bruno makes a good point - I totally forgot about the games
... shame on me: especially when these days I'm trying to write a
spec for FreeOrion which is not that small

K.

--
Karel Volný
QE BaseOs/Daemons Team