Report for Fedora 13 Alpha RC4 LiveCD

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 00:25:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 11:21 +0000, Tommy He wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just give a try for the Fedora 13 Alpha RC4 LiveCD, both GNOME and
> KDE i686 spins. I tested them on Asus F9Dc (Smolt:
> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_14928b57-c5ee-4156-a3c2-f120b37959eb ).
>
> There is no driver problem detected. All the devices work fine,
> including Nouveau KMS, Fingerprint Scanner, Logtiech C200 Webcam and
> Atheros 5007 wireless card.
>
> For the part of GNOME spin, I am happy to see that the OpenOffice.org
> 3.2 was installed by default and the gThumb was replaced by Shotwell
> 0.4.3. It would be better to see the coming Shotwell 0.5 presents in
> the final release or following updates. However, the required Vala
> 0.7.10 seems to be unavailable in any repos currently.
>
> For the part of KDE spin, I have to say it's the first time I have a
> Fedora KDE spin delivers completely KDE4 experience. KNetworkManager,
> KOffice 2.0, K3b KDE4 port. No more gtk or kde3 stuff in systray nor
> lib. KDE fans will love it.

Thanks for testing and reporting your results! I expect Shotwell will be
updated regularly before the Beta, we are not version frozen at this
point.

> For both spins, I noticed a significant oversize for a single CD
> though It is not a big deal for the ones who just use them as LiveUSB.

This is intentional; the primary live spins for F13 will no longer be
CD-sized, they will be capped at 1GB. This is to give a little extra
wiggle room to get apps like OO.o in. The rationale is that the large
majority of users will have a USB drive or DVD writer available.

> I am going to go through some test profiles after finishing the
> coursework. :-)

Thanks again!