F12 update issues

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 16:25:31 UTC 2010

> Hey,
>
> I just set up a fresh F12 vm, then I logged in and tried to update the
> system. I was greeted with an 'internal system error' dialog. After
> seeking advice I learned that I need to manually update yum and
> PackageKit before doing the wholesale system update.
>
> I think this is a pretty dire issue, essentially a dead-on-arrival
> system. One more reason why we need to batch updates and test them as a
> whole.

You can actually just do a 'regular' update with yum first, and it'll
work. Only initial update via PK is broken. It's a well-known issue on
the forums.

> What mechanisms to we have in place to prevent issues like this from
> repeating in F13 ? Does autoqa run any 'update a fresh install to all
> current updates' kind of test ?

It's very difficult to entirely prevent such issues. What we really need
to do is have PackageKit be a 'priority' update for itself - that is, if
there's a PackageKit (or gnome-packagekit) update available, it should
be installed first, alone (with its deps), before the rest of the update
set is processed. I've talked to Richard about this problem already and
I think we agreed on this idea; I'm not sure if he's implemented it yet,
though.