nightly builds [was: LiveInst does not recognize existing LV layout]

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 2 20:56:14 UTC 2010

>There's nothing wrong with it exactly. The nightlies build from
>dist-f13, they do not use updates-testing. This is intentional. It's
>somewhat inconsistent given that updates-testing is enabled as a
>repository by default, but it's how it's been designed to work, so far.
>
>The RC builds used some packages from updates-testing or Koji via a side
>repo Jesse set up for the purpose, once the RC rush calmed down a bit we
>got all those changes moved into dist-f13, though.

Thank you, Adam, for the cogent explanation of a source of possible
confusion.  Is "got all those changes moved into dist-f13" the reason
there was no nightly build yesterday (March 1)?

Should "critical path" be an issue for nightly builds?  If a new version
of a critical path package is available, should it be copied from
updates-testing or Koji for nightly builds, while other packages wait
until they graduate from testing?  I do not argue it should, just thought
to raise the question.

Moving forward, now that there is a version of F13 that (most) people can
install, the exact composition of the nightly builds should be less
important - one can install something, then update as desired.  Still,
your explanation of some nightly build details is valuable.

-Richard Ryniker