F12 update issues

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 00:24:45 UTC 2010

> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 08:45 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 11:33 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > > So, I think having an automated test that basically does these steps and
> > > verifies that the current set of updates can be successfully installed
> > > on a GOLD install would be very useful.
> >
> > it wouldn't hurt, but we (QA and Richard) already know about this
> > problem. The thing is, it's basically impossible to fix, for F12.
>
> Forgot to add - the additional wrinkle here is that currently we only
> really do autoqa tests on yum, and this issue is *only* in PackageKit.
> We could probably add a test using pkcon, that wouldn't be too hard, I
> guess. Testing the actual graphical PK interface automatically is much
> harder (automatic GUI testing is basically a gigantic asspain).

Automated tests involving the GUI are certainly less charted waters for
QA, but not impossible.  Liam is using dogtail as a means for passing
boot arguments during a DVD install via virt-viewer [1].  However, that
use of dogtail is more a means to an end.  If we want to seriously
consider dogtail GUI verification, someone would need to first provide
working tests.  That's not a current focus area for the AutoQA project,
but I'm sure we can talk through the challenges over in
autoqa-devel at lists.fedorahosted.org if someone is interested in
pursuing.

The scenario noted in previous emails of installing F-12 and then
attempting to update using gpk-update-viewer has a few too many moving
parts, I suspect it would be a challenge to maintain.  Is there some
smaller test scenario to consider that could be used to identify the
conditions that led to this failure?  Are there existing PK unittests
that might have discovered this issue that would be desirable to run on
every build?

Thanks,
James

[1]