Urgent: ASUS 1201N susupend may kill the machine. How can I help the devs debug this issue?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 19:04:29 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I could simply report this issue to bugzilla, but missing important
information (E.g. Should I report it against the kernel or against
apci*), I doubt that it'll gain much attention.

The problem is rather simple:
I've got a brand new ASUS 1201N (Dual core ATM 330, 2GB, nVidia ION
chipset) running Fedora 12/x86_64 using the nouveau drivers **.
The machine boots OK, and works without an issue *, ***.

Never the less, there's one major issue:
When I suspend the machine for the first time, it suspends and resumes
OK.
When I suspend the machine for the 3'rd time, the LCD blanks out, but
the machine resumes immediately and after 1-3 minutes, the machine
abruptly power-offs.
In the beginning I suspected a hardware issue, so I enabled lm_sensors
and started monitoring the CPU core temperature.
During normal operation, the CPU core runs at ~68-70c.
Following the first suspend - and depending on the length of the suspend
period, the CPU core slowly warms up, until it reaches ~70c.
However, after the failed suspend, it looks like the CPU fan is somehow
disabled, the CPU core temperature climbs dramatically until it reaches
a hardware defined cut-off at ~90c and the power dies.

Now here's the reason for the urgency: by itself, having problems with
suspend is annoying, but I could live without it until it gets solves
up-stream. However, having the machine over-heat due to failed suspend
may severely damage the netbook, and according to Asus, using Linux
(...) more-or-less voids thier warranty.

So, How can I help the kernel (?) devs debug this issue, before someone
else unknowingly turns his brand new netbook into a torch?

- Gilboa
* Minus the wireless chipset - RT8192SE, which is only supported by
alpha quality out-of-tree drivers.
** Installing the nVidia binary drivers produces the same results.
*** For the sake of solving the suspend issue, I've reinstalled F12
without any foreign kernel modules.