Urgent: ASUS 1201N susupend may kill the machine. How can I help the devs debug this issue?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Mar 5 19:14:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 21:04 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:

> Never the less, there's one major issue:
> When I suspend the machine for the first time, it suspends and resumes
> OK.
> When I suspend the machine for the 3'rd time, the LCD blanks out, but
> the machine resumes immediately and after 1-3 minutes, the machine
> abruptly power-offs.
> In the beginning I suspected a hardware issue, so I enabled lm_sensors
> and started monitoring the CPU core temperature.
> During normal operation, the CPU core runs at ~68-70c.
> Following the first suspend - and depending on the length of the suspend
> period, the CPU core slowly warms up, until it reaches ~70c.
> However, after the failed suspend, it looks like the CPU fan is somehow
> disabled, the CPU core temperature climbs dramatically until it reaches
> a hardware defined cut-off at ~90c and the power dies.
>
> Now here's the reason for the urgency: by itself, having problems with
> suspend is annoying, but I could live without it until it gets solves
> up-stream. However, having the machine over-heat due to failed suspend
> may severely damage the netbook,

This is not likely. The whole point of the hardware cut-off is to avoid
that happening.

> and according to Asus, using Linux
> (...) more-or-less voids thier warranty.

They can say what they like, it's clearly not true. They can't weasel
out of a *hardware* warranty because of what software you ran on it.

> So, How can I help the kernel (?) devs debug this issue, before someone
> else unknowingly turns his brand new netbook into a torch?

File it against kernel and set severity to high. You could ask in
#fedora-kernel on freenode, too.