Urgent: ASUS 1201N susupend may kill the machine. How can I help the devs debug this issue?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 19:52:18 UTC 2010

> On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 21:04 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > Now here's the reason for the urgency: by itself, having problems with
> > suspend is annoying, but I could live without it until it gets solves
> > up-stream. However, having the machine over-heat due to failed suspend
> > may severely damage the netbook,
>
> This is not likely. The whole point of the hardware cut-off is to avoid
> that happening.

Assuming that the people @Asus made sure the cutoff temperature is safe
enough in case of repeated cut-offs.

I get your point, never the less.

> > and according to Asus, using Linux
> > (...) more-or-less voids thier warranty.
>
> They can say what they like, it's clearly not true. They can't weasel
> out of a *hardware* warranty because of what software you ran on it.

Sadly enough, this is the official answer I got from the local ASUS rep.
While it may not stand in court, I rather not test it :)

> > So, How can I help the kernel (?) devs debug this issue, before someone
> > else unknowingly turns his brand new netbook into a torch?
>
> File it against kernel and set severity to high. You could ask in
> #fedora-kernel on freenode, too.

Will do.

Thanks for the prompt answer.

- Gilboa