F12 update issues

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Mar 5 21:42:11 UTC 2010

> > As I said, we really need to have priority PK updates to make that
> > possible. At present there's no way we could guarantee it, even with
> > testing; exactly the same thing could happen again. This didn't happen
> > when F12 first came out, we couldn't have caught it before release; it
> > only appeared after the update set for F12 came to include packages
> > which trigger the bug.
>
> Maybe I am not making myself clear... what I am asking for, essentially,
> is that we batch updates and test those batches through autoqa before
> releasing them. That of course has to happen after the release, to test
> problem that only occur with the combination of release + updates.

Reading through this thread while writing FWN, I realized we were kind
of talking at cross-purposes - I was worried about the underlying cause
of the bug, while you were actually just using the symptom as a trigger
to discuss something rather different. Sorry about that!

In fact, Will Woods mentioned at the last AutoQA meeting -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Meetings/20100301 - that updates will
_have_ to be tested in batches in AutoQA in order to do the dependency
check tests. So you might want to get together with him to discuss that.
He's currently thinking through the problem, I believe.