[Test-Announce] Announcing the release of Fedora 13 Alpha!!

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 15:22:23 UTC 2010

The Fedora 13 "Goddard" Alpha release is available! What's next for the
free operating system that shows off the best new technology of
tomorrow? You can see the future now at:

http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease?anF13a

== What is the Alpha release? ==

The Alpha release contains all the features of Fedora 13 in a form that
anyone can help test. This testing, guided by the Fedora QA team, helps
us target and identify bugs. When these bugs are fixed, we make a Beta
release available. A Beta release is code-complete, and bears a very
strong resemblance to the third and final release. The final release of
Fedora 13 is due in May.

We need your help to make Fedora 13 the best release yet, so please take
a moment of your time to download and try out the Alpha and make sure
the things that are important to you are working. If you find a bug,
please report it -- every bug you uncover is a chance to improve the
experience for millions of Fedora users worldwide. Together, we can make
Fedora a rock-solid distribution. (Read down to the end of the
announcement for more information on how to help.)

== Features ==

Among the top features for end users, we have:

    * Automatic print driver installation. We're using RPM and
PackageKit for automatic installation of printer drivers, so when you
plug in a USB printer, Fedora will automatically offer to install
drivers for it if needed.

    * Automatic installation of language packs. Yum language packs
plugin support makes software installation smarter and easier for
everyone worldwide, by automatically downloading language support for
large suites of Fedora software when the user's environment requires
it.

    * Redesigned user management interface. The user account tool has
been completely redesigned, and the accountsdialog and accountsservice
test packages are available to make it easy to configure personal
information, make a personal profile picture or icon, generate a strong
passphrase, and set up login options for your Fedora system.

    * Color management. Color Management allows you to better set and
control your colors for displays, printers, and scanners, through the
gnome-color-manager package.

    * NetworkManager improvements include CLI. NetworkManager is now a
one stop shop for all of your networking needs in Fedora, be it dial-up,
broadband, wifi, or even Bluetooth. And now it can all be done in the
command line, if you're into that sort of thing.

    * Experimental 3D extended to free Nouveau driver for NVidia cards.
In this release we are one step closer to having 3D supported on
completely free and open source software (FOSS) drivers. In Fedora 12 we
got a lot of ATI chips working, and this time we've added a wide range
of NVidia cards. You can install the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental
package to try out the work in progress.

For developers there are all sorts of additional goodies:

    * SystemTap static probes. SystemTap now has expanded capabilities
to monitor higher-level language runtimes like Java, Python and Tcl, and
also user space applications starting with PostgreSQL. In the future
Fedora will add support for even more user space applications, greatly
increasing the scope and power of monitoring for application
developers.

    * Easier Python debugging. We've added new support that allows
developers working with mixed libraries (Python and C/C++) in Fedora to
get more complete information when debugging with gdb, making Fedora an
exceptional platform for powerful, rapid application development.

    * Parallel-installable Python 3 stack. The parallel-installable
Python 3 stack will will help programmers write and test code for use in
both Python 2.6 and Python 3 environments, so you can future-proof your
applications now using Fedora.

    * NetBeans 6.8 first IDE to support entire Java 6 EE spec. NetBeans
IDE 6.8 is the first IDE to offer complete support for the entire Java
EE 6 specification.

And don't think we forgot the system administrators:

    * boot.fedoraproject.org. (BFO) allows users to download a single,
tiny image (could fit on a floppy) and install current and future
versions of Fedora without having to download additional images.

    * System Security Services Daemon (SSSD). SSSD provides expanded
features for logging into managed domains, including caching for offline
authentication. This means that, for example, users on laptops can still
login when disconnected from the company's managed network. The
authentication configuration tool in Fedora has already been updated to
support SSSD, and work is underway to make it even more attractive and
functional.

    * Pioneering NFS features. Fedora offers the latest version 4 of the
NFS protocol for better performance, and in conjunction with recent
kernel modifications includes IPv6 support for NFS as well.

    * Zarafa Groupware. Zarafa now makes available a complete Open
Source groupware suite that can be used as a drop-in Exchange
replacement for Web-based mail, calendaring, collaboration and tasks.
Features include IMAP/POP and iCal/CalDAV capabilities, native mobile
phone support, the ability to integrate with existing Linux mail
servers, a full set of programming interfaces, and a comfortable look
and feel using modern Ajax technologies.

    * Btrfs snapshots integration. Btrfs is capable of creating
lightweight filesystem snapshots that can be mounted (and booted into)
selectively. The created snapshots are copy-on-write snapshots, so there
is no file duplication overhead involved for files that do not change
between snapshots. It allows developers to feel comfortable
experimenting with new software without fear of an unusable install,
since automated snapshots allow them to easily revert to the previous
day's filesystem.

And that's only the beginning. A more complete list and details of each
new cited feature is available here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/13/FeatureList?anF13a

We have nightly composes of alternate spins available here:

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/?anF13a

== Contributing ==

For more information including common and known bugs, tips on how to
report bugs, and the official release schedule, please refer to the
release notes:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Alpha_release_notes?anF13a

Thank you, and we hope to see you in the Fedora project!

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!