Unable to set brightness in Power Management

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 22:37:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 16:54 +0000, Tommy He wrote:
> Hello Fedora 13 testers,
>
> Did you notice that there is no longer a brightness control slider in
> GNOME power management ?
>
> I noticed that after performed a suspend this morning and found the
> screen kept dim forever. What I mean by forever is that even I
> rebooted to the Fedora 13 LiveUSB, it was still dim! Hard to believe
> but it is true.
>
> Finally I got the brightness back to normal by using a Fedora 12
> LiveUSB and adjusting the brightness.
>
> For God sake, please do not tell me it is another decision following
> upstream. I agree that not so many users would bother tweaking the
> application menu. But the brightness control?

The brightness keys on your keyboard don't work ? There is still a
slider in the first tab of the power preferences, and the there is still
an applet you can use (admittedly, it currently has some issues with
mouse interaction, but works perfectly fine with the keyboard).

So, what you describe certainly sounds like a bug, albeit a not very
clearly described one.