Live ISOs that don't fit on CDs

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 09:37:38 UTC 2010

> So in the process of triaging Bug 557958, I have found a user with an
> interest in lobbying against the decision to allow Live ISOs that are
> too large to burn to CD.  (They can't boot off USB or DVD...

I've got a suggestion to shrink them back into CD size is, with the
following process

1. split as much as we can of openoffice.org documentation and
templates (I know this is already done eg. as in
openoffice.org-langpack-XY, but I noticed that the English templates
and documents are not split into openoffice.org-langpack-en)
I expect no one want a live cd to read help of openoffice.org (if he
wants he can use PK to install it, or make "welcome to fedora" point
to it)

2. split the parts that requires lucene,saxon/xalan-j2, bsf, ... and
things like that
I guess they are used to enable:
  * indexed search in help (which I think is not something for livecd)
  * provide some graphic filters for oo.o-draw (which is not installed
in livecd)

3. after 1 and 2 are done, libgcj won't be required

solving those issues will dramatically reduce the size (we have tried
that in ojuba linux 1 and 2 as we shipped a custom oo.o rpms in our
livecds, but in ojuba 3 which was based on F11 we shipped fedora's
oo.o because we already exceeded the CD size limit because in that
release we put about 400MB of books)

please tell your friend about that, he might be interested to help us
(in fedora) make a diet to the monster called OO.o

having smaller liveCD gives a better performance because it would have
smaller memory footprint.