Live ISOs that don't fit on CDs

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Mar 13 17:13:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 03:33 -0500, Christopher Beland wrote:
> So in the process of triaging Bug 557958, I have found a user with an
> interest in lobbying against the decision to allow Live ISOs that are
> too large to burn to CD.  (They can't boot off USB or DVD, and I think
> is experiencing a bug with their network install.)
>
> I'm not questioning the decision, but as more people discover that
> things are too big to burn onto CD, it would be helpful to have
> someplace to point them.
>
> After poking around a bit in mailing list archives, I couldn't find any
> official announcement, nor did I find the reference which I think which
> was on this mailing list where I first learned about this myself.  Does
> anyone know which group made this decision, and if there's an official
> reasoning?  (Or for that matter if there's still a chance that it might
> be reversed.)

I don't believe an official announcement was made (we should probably
call it out in the Release Notes), but it was decided on the desktop
list:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2009-November/005590.html

is the first thread, followed by:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2009-November/005640.html

and then:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2009-November/005690.html

The second one of those is probably the best thing to point to as an
'announcement'. I'll make the point on desktop list that this change
probably hasn't been sufficiently communicated.