i have to *choose* between graphical desktop and S/W dev?

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Mon Mar 15 19:50:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 06:51:21 -0400 (EDT)
> Kamil Paral wrote:
>
>> Overall it's an interesting suggestion, you can create a bugzilla [1]
>> entry against "anaconda" package and propose that to anaconda
>> developers.
>
> Yea, but we are still waiting for the "Select every optional package
> in all package groups" button they promised us to replace the
> "everything" button (unless they actually have that in f13? :-).

I'm pretty sure we [anaconda] never made that promise.

The names of the tasks maybe need more description.  The reason they are radio
buttons instead of checkboxes is that the choices indicate preset lists of yum
package groups to install.  You can select a task and all of the default
packages (as defined in comps) for the groups in that task will get installed,
as well as any package dependencies.  As of now, this is what the task
definition looks like for Fedora:

Graphical Desktop
     admin-tools
     base
     base-x
     core
     editors
     fonts
     games
     gnome-desktop
     graphical-internet
     graphics
     hardware-support
     input-methods
     java
     office
     printing
     sound-and-video
     text-internet

Software Development
     base
     base-x
     core
     development-libs
     development-tools
     editors
     fonts
     gnome-desktop
     gnome-software-development
     graphical-internet
     graphics
     hardware-support
     input-methods
     java
     text-internet
     x-software-development

Web Server
     admin-tools
     base
     base-x
     core
     editors
     gnome-desktop
     graphical-internet
     hardware-support
     java
     text-internet
     web-server

Minimal
     core

These are the same group names that can be used in the %packages section of a
kickstart file, in @groupname syntax.

We can modify these tasks, change the names, or add new ones.  File bugs
against anaconda accordingly.

Keep in mind that the idea behind these tasks is to greatly simplify the job
of selecting software for installation.  They are intended to hit the most
common use cases and avoid the need for users to get in to a detailed package
selection mode.  Users wanting finegrained control over what packages get
installed already have that.  You can already customize the package list or
build a kickstart file to your liking.

- --
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI