i have to *choose* between graphical desktop and S/W dev?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Mar 16 01:51:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 20:29:12 -0400,
  Christopher Beland <beland at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 16:24 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > Groups might be a help here. For example in the above case,
> > yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
> > might solve most of the problem.
>
> Indeed.  It would be nice if such groups were discoverable e.g. in
> gpk-application.  Right now, there's a collection called "Programming"
> and a filter called "Development" and it's unclear how these related to
> the yum group.

There are two types of groupings that you might run into. One is comps
which is what yum uses for groups. Another is in the rpm data. I don't
know how the two group mechanisms are supposed to relate or even if they are.

You can use yum to get a list of comps groups.
yum grouplist

You can list the contents of a comps group with
yum groupinfo "Group name of interest"