Initial install impressions f13 alpha

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 16 16:23:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 19:41 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Using the x86_64 DVD image to do install from hard disk seemed
> to work well.
>
> The new storage system is off the charts geeky and impossible
> to use. I don't have the model numbers of my disks memorised
> and stashed in my head to know which one is which. There is
> absolutely no point in presenting me with a page that lists
> obscure model numbers and asks which disks I want to include
> in the install. The only conceivable answer is always going
> to be all of them, because I can't possibly tell which is which
> till I see them in the screen that lets me do formatting
> and shows me pictures of the partitions on the disks. Even that
> screen could use some help. I have labels on my partitions,
> and if I edit the partition, it will tell me the current
> label, but it would sure be handy to see the current label
> in the list of all the disks and partitions as one of the columns
> of info shown.
>
> When navigating through anaconda with the tab key, it is
> virtually impossible to tell which item is "current". The
> colors for merely highlighted items are nearly identical
> to selected items, and the selected color actually seems to be
> slightly paler than the highlighted items, thus inverting
> the tradition of selected things being quite dark blue
> and highlighted things being very light blue.
>
> During the install, the installer seemed to hang quite a
> long time when it got to the "bind" package. I looked in
> some of the Ctl-Alt-Fn terminals, and saw this at the
> end of one screen (which I have now retrieved from
> anaconda.log):
>
> 18:50:57,062 INFO anaconda: Preparing to install packages
> 18:51:19,406 WARNING anaconda: /usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py:542: GtkWarning: gtk_progress_set_percentage: assertion `percentage >= 0 && percentage <= 1.0' failed
>   self.progress.set_fraction (newval)
>
> 18:51:33,925 WARNING anaconda: /usr/lib/anaconda/iw/progress_gui.py:67: GtkWarning: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 2 char 32: Element 'markup' was closed, but the currently open element is 'NAME'
>   self.infolabel.set_markup(txt)
>
> By the time I finished looking around at the vterms, the
> install had finally picked back up.
>
> Now that I've recorded that before forgetting it, I'm off
> to actually let it run firstboot...

Hi, Tom. I passed your mail on to the Anaconda developers. They enjoyed
being called 'off the charts geeky', but aside from that thought you had
some valid points =) Could you file bugs for your storage suggestions
against anaconda so they don't get lost? Thanks. On the appearance, I
believe that'd be down to whatever GTK+ theme Anaconda uses, but I'm not
entirely sure - we didn't get to discussing that one.