i have to *choose* between graphical desktop and S/W dev?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Mar 17 15:50:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 04:38 -0400, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> I used to work at Red Hat. I remember the heated discussion over the
> removal of the "Everything" install. I used to use it all the time as I
> worked in Global Support Services and liked having "Everything"
> installed on my desktop. Jeremy Katz basically just said "no" and that
> was the end of it as I recall. No promise to put it back. That was over
> 5 years ago now, but I doubt that's changed.

It was more than just "no".  It was decided to be removed due to all the
bugs we were getting because people had different ideas as to what
"everything" actually meant.  Some felt "everything" meant all packages
possible.  Some felt "everything" meant all packages excluding all the
language packages for unselected languages.  Some felt "everything"
meant all possible multilib packages, some felt it didn't.  Clearly we
weren't going to satisfy everybody with an 'Everything' option so it was
removed so that folks can pick their own vision of "Everything".

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!