kms howto - is there one?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 17 20:24:28 UTC 2010

Used to be able to set vga= on cmdline, and preferred resolution for X via
xorg.conf. Now (with no EDID/DDC actually available to report display
characteristics to the KMS kernel), how does one escape from 1024x768 in X -
prior to starting X? I tried putting PreferredMode in xorg.conf, which failed
to provide my selected mode in X. I also tried video="VGA-1:1600x1200 at 60" &
vga=0x305 on cmdline. That gave 1600x1200 on tty[1-6], which I don't want,
and (again) 1024x768 in X, which also I don't want.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/