kms howto - is there one?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 17 21:54:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 17:35 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2010/03/17 13:46 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:
>
> > On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 16:24 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >> Used to be able to set vga= on cmdline, and preferred resolution for X via
> >> xorg.conf. Now (with no EDID/DDC actually available to report display
> >> characteristics to the KMS kernel), how does one escape from 1024x768 in X -
> >> prior to starting X? I tried putting PreferredMode in xorg.conf, which failed
> >> to provide my selected mode in X. I also tried video="VGA-1:1600x1200 at 60" &
> >> vga=0x305 on cmdline. That gave 1600x1200 on tty[1-6], which I don't want,
> >> and (again) 1024x768 in X, which also I don't want.
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12
>
> With the speed of change in X generally, and Intel drivers in particular, I
> was hoping for something (preferably Fedora specific, if Fedora is actually
> relevant on the subject)

No, the changes all happen in upstream X. There's nothing
distro-specific here.

>  considerably newer than that page's age of 8 months.

There hasn't been any significant change to the syntax since the change
documented on that page, which was the introduction of RandR 1.2. The
information on there is still valid.

> Also, it's little less cryptic than the man page, with no example what to do
> about --output when there is one and only one output,

Specify that output.

> or finding out what the
> output names actually are

Just plain 'xrandr' will tell you.

> , or the meaning of <screen> or how to distinguish
> it from <display>.

Not quite sure off the top of my head, but you should be able to get it
working.