kms howto - is there one?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 18 02:45:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 18:48 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> This is what happens in F13:
> # xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1600x1200
> xrandr: cannot find mode 1600x1200
> # xrandr --addmode UXGA 1600x1200
> xrandr: cannot find output "UXGA"
> # xrandr --addmode VGA1 1600x1200
> xrandr: cannot find mode "1600x1200"

Well, of course. If the driver doesn't believe your monitor / card
combination is capable of that mode, xrandr won't be able to set it.
That's normal. You need to set up xorg.conf so that the mode is
available.

What monitor *is* this, anyway?

> On Factory, Cooker and Lucid, I can accomplish what I want. This is from
> working Lucid on the same box just a few days ago (but it's using 2.6.32):
> http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/Buntu/ has xorg.conf and data files, with
> xorg.conf.02-1600x1200x120x16bpp-buntu910-intel being the xorg.conf that
> works fine in Lucid but not when used in F13.

They are likely using older X server, kernel and intel driver, so
they're not very comparable. Ubuntu's results seem nuts - it claims
2048x1536 as a 'probed' mode. Very few monitors are capable of that.