minimal install too minimal

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Mar 18 13:40:20 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 04:03:08 pm Jesse Keating wrote:
> > > The minimal case is "special" because it is lacking in a number of
> > > packages, such as the NetworkManager stack, which is Fedora's preferred
> > > method of managing the network.
> >
> > It was not the intent of the minimal platform install project to have a
> > non- functioning network. It used to work, so this would be a
> > regression.
>
> "this used to work" define this.

This has been a feature since Fedora 11. There was a test day announcement:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/olpc/2009-April/001178.html

No one reported that the network was not working or yum was not able to
install additional packages or updates.

> There hasn't been a "minimal" install option for a very long time, and since
> it has come back, when not doing an network install, the above result has
> always been the result, so this isn't a "regression".

Fedora 11 had a minimal platform install feature. You had to manually deselect
the packages or use kickstart. So, yes it was there - but not as nice as we
would have liked it.

> You asked for minimal, you got minimal.  Have fun with it.

Seriously, dispense with the sarcasm. Why can't the network initscripts still
be enabled by default but do nothing if network manager is controlling? This
can be done by having network manager drop a file in /etc/sysconfig that
indicates it wants to control things. This way both minimal install and bigger
installs that use network manager can coexist. Or maybe the alternatives
mechanism could be used? There are ways to solve this that doesn't involve a
lot of work.

Thanks,
-Steve