kms howto - is there one?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 18 16:41:34 UTC 2010

On 2010/03/18 11:14 (GMT-0500) Bruno Wolff III composed:

>   Felix Miata wrote:

>> On 2010/03/17 19:45 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

>> 3 different Trinitron CRTs. All old. All work fine @ 2048x1536 with any
>> Kubuntu, SUSE or Mandriva I throw at them, radeon, intel or mga. They also
>> work fine @ 2048x1536 using F13 with mga. I don't have F13 on radeon or Intel
>> (other than 845G) to try.

> Do they do EDID?

I've not known any means to verify EDID efficacy. I've had 8 or more of these
Trinitrons in my possession over a long period of time. Some did do EDID, but
NAICT their ability to do so disappears after some time. Until last night I
thought I had one left that would, but I don't think so any more.

> If they don't the drivers will play pretty safe to avoid
> damaging equipment.

On Intel on 1.8.0rc1 at least they seem to be playing too safe. They should
permit the user to define ranges without limits, and let destruction result
if the user facilitates it. I think the newest CRT that is incapable of at
least 1600x1200 is probably at least 10 years old by now. 1024x768 is an
anachronism, safe, but nevertheless an anachronism, and should be able to be
_easily_ overridden by user configuration. That's not the case now with F13
and Intel.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/