kms howto - is there one?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 18 18:45:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 04:46 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Actually there's apparently not much "set up" I can do with F13 ATM. It's

I'm not convinced you've tried it the right way, so far.

> obvious F13's Intel driver is the biggest problem here, maybe generally,
> maybe the 845G gfxchip.....
>
> > What monitor *is* this, anyway?
>
> 3 different Trinitron CRTs. All old. All work fine @ 2048x1536 with any
> Kubuntu, SUSE or Mandriva I throw at them, radeon, intel or mga. They also
> work fine @ 2048x1536 using F13 with mga. I don't have F13 on radeon or Intel
> (other than 845G) to try.
>
> >> On Factory, Cooker and Lucid, I can accomplish what I want. This is from
> >> working Lucid on the same box just a few days ago (but it's using 2.6.32):
> >> http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/Buntu/ has xorg.conf and data files, with
> >> xorg.conf.02-1600x1200x120x16bpp-buntu910-intel being the xorg.conf that
> >> works fine in Lucid but not when used in F13.
>
> > They are likely using older X server, kernel and intel driver, so
>
> Those are also devel distros targeted for release relatively close to the
> same time as F13, so "older" one wouldn't expect to be by very much. Kubuntu

Not really. Fedora is generally rather a way ahead of other distros when
it comes to X.

> Lucid seems stuck on 2.6.32 kernel, but Factory & Cooker are using 2.6.33.
> OTOH, all but F13 are on X 1.7.5, while F13 is showing 1.8.0rc1.

Also check the version of the Intel driver. I know I've read Ubuntu is
staying with intel 2.8, Fedora is on 2.10.

> > they're not very comparable. Ubuntu's results seem nuts - it claims
> > 2048x1536 as a 'probed' mode. Very few monitors are capable of that.
>
> I have 7 under this roof that can do 2048x1536, only one of which had a
> non-zero acquisition cost, and one real oldie that only can do up to
> 1920x1440 (NEC P1150). The NEC is the only one I can get F13 to do better
> than 1024x768 on using i845G. I only tried 1600x1200 on it, but got 1920x1440
> on it from SUSE 10.2.

Oh, yeah, I forgot you're the guy with the crazy monitors...

> The Xorg.0.logs and xorg.confs for the 4 displays and bunches of F13s, SUSEs,
> Kubuntus & Cookers are in http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/Xorg/ . 31 files
> created in past 50 or so hours. Some of the logs from the newest X versions
> do not include customary probed mode info, so I've included several older to
> prove modes above 1024x768 up through 2048x1536 can get found via probing.
> I've appended xrandr output to several too.

I suspect there's a bug here which is that Fedora's intel driver doesn't
probe all modes correctly. You should file that. Beyond that, it's just
a configuration issue, you need to set your xorg.conf to correctly
disable probing and manually define the mode you want to use. I provided
instructions which ought to be able to achieve that.