lxdm, ldxe-common require constantine-backgrounds-single

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 20:41:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 15:39 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Montag, den 15.03.2010, 10:57 +0100 schrieb Martin Sourada:
> > On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 10:01 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >
> > > BTW: This applies to Xfce too, xfdesktop also uses the
> > > symlink /usr/share/backgrounds/default.png.
> > >
> > Well, if you need only this symlink and if it's in -compat it's just as
> > easy as pointing the symlink to
> > /usr/share/backgrounds/goddard/default/standard/goddard.png
> >
> > and requiring goddard-backgrounds-single
>
> I know, I did it in the F12 release cycle too, although it's not my
> package. The package has 17 maintainers (!) but nobody seems to care
> about it. So I just stepped up another time and did the update for
> F13/Goddard.

Thanks :)

> Sorry if this may sound impolite, but I don't think it's on my to ask
> the design team. Usually the maintainers who change something are to
> notify the maintainers of the affected packages. So when Goddard becomes
> default, the person doing this change should ping
> desktop-backgrounds-owner at fpo.

Depends... The design team is in charge of actually creating the new
backgrounds and it's only our good will that we also do the packaging
(well, we've been doing it for the past 4 or so releases, so it
practically is our task to make the package as well). Making it default
is IMHO task for respective spin owners / SIG members. It's easier for
them to read around the Alpha freeze the fedora weekly news' artwork
section than for the design team to keep in mind which spins are using
the default wallpaper, and which have their own and which packages needs
the changes to use the new default.

I wonder what might be the best way to handle this. Certainly, now that
I know about that lxde and xfce are just using whatever is in
d-b-compat, I can include you and the d-b, lxde-common, lxdm na
xfdesktop owners in my notify list (or even ask for commit rights on d-b
and do the change myself)... But as this happens twice in a year, I
always forget about these things... Maybe a wiki page where the spin
authors / desktop manager maintainers would express their needs
regarding the handling of changing default wallpaper would help.

> In a perfect world (tm) I wouldn't need to care about this because my
> packages only require desktop-backgrounds-compat but not
> goddard-backgrounds. But the world is not perfect, so feel free to also
> notify lxde-common-owner, lxdm-owner and xfdesktop-owner just as you did
> this time. Would be nice to be notified a little earlier next time.

I'll try ;-)

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions how to make the process better.

Thanks,
Martin