kms howto - is there one?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 19 04:56:04 UTC 2010

On 2010/03/18 15:11 (GMT-0500) Bruno Wolff III composed:

>   Felix Miata composed:

>> On Intel on 1.8.0rc1 at least they seem to be playing too safe. They should
>> permit the user to define ranges without limits, and let destruction result
>> if the user facilitates it. I think the newest CRT that is incapable of at

> I disaggree with that. Blowing up someone's hardware by default is pretty rude.

You misunderstood my meaning. Default is no preconfiguration at all, other
than that built into Xorg and its interdependent drivers.

However, there needs to be, as in the past, a way for a user to override
broken Xorg "smarts".  Xorg.conf will still be used if found. Users who need
them should expect valid data they put there to be honored if at all
possible. Beyond a very basic sanity check, X should accept what it finds
there, even if a display might possibly be destroyed by doing so.

Regarding destruction, it's been many years since I've encountered display
damage due to an attempt to feed it signals that are out of its design range.
Everything for many many years has been via its own internal safety mechanism
simply going blank and/or into sleep mode when fed out of range signals.

> What is needed is an easy way to set up things for older monitors. You can do
> this now by setting up a proper xorg.conf file (which I do for my old lcd
> displays)

Actually not (AFAICT), if the driver version is current F13 (intel on i845G &
radeon on rv200 at least). Setup via xorg.conf is working in current Factory,
Lucid & Cooker, using all drivers I tested with, and also working in F13 if
using mga. In every case, those working properly require no modelines in
xorg.conf, and no mode or modeline configuration with xrandr, to escape from
the 1024x768 lockdown.

>, but there should be something nicer for normal people.

Absolutely!

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/