kms howto - is there one?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Mar 20 00:13:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 03:25:54PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 15:22 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 14:58 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:

> > > So here's a presumptuous question :-).
> > >
> > > If gtf and cvt ship as part of X, and they can turn a human
> > > meaningful request for size and HZ into a X mode line,
> > > then why on God's green earth can't X accept a mode described
> > > in terms of size and HZ instead of a hieroglyphic mode line?
> >
> > No one's written the code to do it.  PGA though.
>
> Also because - and this is truly, truly depressing - there's no
> programmatic way to tell the difference between a CRT and an LCD from
> the host side.  Thanks EDID!

OTOH a documentation of gtf and cvt does not bother to mention that
tidbit of information that one is for CRTs and other for LCDs so
does that really matter?  The next time I will have a need for
those, which happens although really infrequently, most likely I
will forget which one is for what and will have to toss a coin.

   Michal