F13 Alpha Install Test generates two look & feel bugs

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Sat Mar 20 16:49:32 UTC 2010

> Do you have more than one HD on that computer?  As in, one has Windows
> or something else and the other has at least FEdora on it?  If so, when
> the installer asks you to check which HD's you want to utitilize during
> install, check them all.  You will have the choice afterwards on which
> is to be used only for mounting/storage and which for the actual
> installs.

You may be correct, but this is terribly counter-intuitive.  It certainly
looks like the purpose of those check boxes is to allow the user to
specify which disks the Fedora installer may use to write the new system
it will install.  Even more important, this looks like an opportunity to
tell the Fedora installer about disks it should not modify because they
contain data the user knows should be preserved.

I think the Fedora installer should be allowed to read other
(non-installation) disks and identify items it may add to the new
Fedora system's boot menu.

It seems folly to tell Fedora's installer it may use a disk I know
contains another operating system or data I wish to keep, and hope it
will all come out right... I will correctly select subsequent options
regarding type of installation, then review/modify the configuration and
make any desirable changes before installation commences and writes data
to disks I have already said can be used for the new installation.