Suspend fails on a Dell 1647 XPS, how to figure out where

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon Mar 22 06:52:01 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 10:33 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm testing F13 on a Dell XPS 1647 and suspend fails every time.

Okay, a little more information might be useful.

My laptop doesn't suspend (this is not a resume issue).

It starts to suspend but the screen doesn't turn off and the keyboard
locks.  You have to hold down the power button to turn it off and then
restart the system.

> How do I test what's happening to supply some sort of useful bug report?

I've been doing some testing since I'm using the broadcom-wl driver (as
the w34 driver doesn't support my particular card.) and I know that I
need to show that the tainting isn't an issue.

With (or without[1]) the module installed I've discovered that:

* I can suspend and resume as much as I like before logging in (at GDM).
* Once I've logged in suspend fails
* If I log out again, suspend no longer works from GDM

Rodd

[1] I removed the module which is installed as an RPM so as to be sure
it wasn't loaded.