yum tries to install i686 on x86_64 system

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 16:51:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:49:48 -0600, Michal wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:40:40AM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:31 -0500, Rex wrote:
> > >
> > > It's often broken dependencies that are to blame.
> >
> > How exactly?
> >
> > Builds for x86_64 and i686 are done from the same src.rpm and are released
> > at once. They get the same version-release and appear in the multi-arch
> > x86_64 repo at the same time.
>
> That is a theory.  In practice I have seen on various occasions that
> mirrors may have one architecture available, normally i386, and the
> other one is delayed up to a day.

Doubtful. Unless the repo compose tools don't do it right.
For the x86_64 repo, the i686 *and* the x86_64 packages in that repo are
covered by the same metadata update.

Rather I think multiarch dependency problems (and i686 packages being
pulled in) happen in situations when there are broken deps for either
arch and Yum resolves arch-independent dependencies. See today's thread
on RPMFusion devel list for one such case.  It's a guess, but it seems
as if it applies a x86_64 update and uses an older i686 build of the
same package to satisfy an arch-independent version-specific dependency
in another x86_64 package.