yum tries to install i686 on x86_64 system

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 18:51:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:04:13 -0400, Tom wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:51:15 +0100
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > Doubtful. Unless the repo compose tools don't do it right.
> > For the x86_64 repo, the i686 *and* the x86_64 packages in that repo are
> > covered by the same metadata update.
>
> I see the delayed updates for one arch or another all the time.
> I just wait a day, and it usually fixes itself.

What exactly do you see?
File not found errors for some packages?
Or symptoms that make you think either arch is missing?

"delayed updates" just doesn't sound right. It would be insane to
push packages like that.

When you see it again, can you point your browser at the mirror and
save a copy of the repo's primary metadata files?

What I see occasioally is that some mirrors have the latest metadata,
but not all packages. Then download skips through the mirror list in
search of a mirror that carries the latest metadata *and* the needed
packages.