Suspend fails on a Dell 1647 XPS, how to figure out where

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Tue Mar 23 02:14:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 17:39 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 11:19 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > >
> > > Some of these tips might be of use:
> > >
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_kernel_problems#Suspend.2FResume_to_RAM_failure
> >
> > Thanks for this Chris.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I've tried the suggestion to enable 'echo 1
> > > /sys/power/pm_trace' but it doesn't seem to return anything.  It's not
> > clear from the description, but it seems to debug issues resuming.  My
> > problem isn't resuming, it's suspending.  I can't get the system to
> > suspend.
>
> It wouldn't return anything directly. Presumably it's intended to cause
> more information to be written to the system logs.

It was supposed to return something thru dmesg to give some idea of what
hardware was giving the issue (or that's how it seemed to read).

However, it's all irrelevant.  I've discovered what they problem was and
have now got suspend and resume working and can reliably reproduce the
problem

The problem occurs when I have a SD card plugged into my SD card reader.
I've had a SD card in the slot while installing as I had a crash and was
trying to save the output to the card (it didn't work, by the way)  I
removed the card and suspend and resume now works.  Cycle through
suspend and resume a couple of times and then reinsert the card and it
fails again.

Can other reproduce this?

My device is a:

07:00.0 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd Device e822 (rev 01)

Rodd