Suspend fails on a Dell 1647 XPS, how to figure out where

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Mar 23 13:41:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 10:23 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> I know that replying to your own message is bad form, but I'm slowly
> finding out stuff that might actually get someone to give me some clues
> on how to debug this issue.
>
> On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 17:52 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 10:33 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>
> > > How do I test what's happening to supply some sort of useful bug report?
> >
> > I've been doing some testing since I'm using the broadcom-wl driver (as
> > the w34 driver doesn't support my particular card.) and I know that I
> > need to show that the tainting isn't an issue.
> >
> > With (or without[1]) the module installed I've discovered that:
> >
> > * I can suspend and resume as much as I like before logging in (at GDM).
> > * Once I've logged in suspend fails
> > * If I log out again, suspend no longer works from GDM
>
> I've added another user and tried suspending using this user.  Same
> issues as above.
>
> Is there some way I can log the suspend process to see what's going
> wrong?

It _is_ logged.  /var/log/pm/*

Be very patient when debugging suspend.  The kernel will attempt to stop
running processes before really suspending, but there's a timeout of
something like two minutes.  If it fails to stop all processes, it will
restart them after the timeout, and the machine will appear to come back
to life.

- ajax