Proposal: Target tracker bugs

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 00:21:47 UTC 2010

Hi, everyone. At a recent Bugzappers weekly meeting, we discussed the
FXXTarget tracker bugs - F12Target, F13Target etc. We agreed they were
not serving much of a purpose recently, as developers do not appear to
devote any extra effort to these bugs as compared to others. We also
noted that the Severity field serves much of the function of these
trackers, now we are using it again.

At the meeting we agreed to draft a proposal to discontinue the use of
these trackers. However, at the last blocker bug review meeting, Jesse
Keating suggested an alternative use for them. We often find ourselves
in the position, in the period shortly before a release is made, of
saying "well, this bug isn't a release blocker, but if the developer
comes up with a fix, we'll accept it through the freeze". Jesse proposed
we could use the Target trackers to track this kind of bug - one for
which we would accept a fix into an impending release.

Does anyone have a clear preference for one of these paths or the other?