Proposal: Target tracker bugs

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 15:30:51 UTC 2010

> Hi, everyone. At a recent Bugzappers weekly meeting, we discussed the
> FXXTarget tracker bugs - F12Target, F13Target etc. We agreed they were
> not serving much of a purpose recently, as developers do not appear to
> devote any extra effort to these bugs as compared to others. We also
> noted that the Severity field serves much of the function of these
> trackers, now we are using it again.
>
> At the meeting we agreed to draft a proposal to discontinue the use of
> these trackers. However, at the last blocker bug review meeting, Jesse
> Keating suggested an alternative use for them. We often find ourselves
> in the position, in the period shortly before a release is made, of
> saying "well, this bug isn't a release blocker, but if the developer
> comes up with a fix, we'll accept it through the freeze". Jesse proposed
> we could use the Target trackers to track this kind of bug - one for
> which we would accept a fix into an impending release.
>
> Does anyone have a clear preference for one of these paths or the other?

As we rely more and more on the release criteria and addressing bugs
that are on the blocker list, I'm seeing a hesitation to fix any other
bugs in Branched.  In some sense this is a good thing, less change
generally means more stability.

However, for issues that we've previously identified as 'nice to have'
issues where the patch (or suggested fix) has limited scope, I don't
want to prevent informed developers from addressing these issues in the
Branched release.  Using the Target bugs seems like a fine way to denote
'nice to have' and acceptable for including in the Branched release.

Thanks,
James