recovering journal

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 24 18:23:23 UTC 2010

Tom Horsley <horsley1953 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Two or three times now, when I have been testing on my
> fedora 13 partition, and used the shutdown button from
> a f13 gnome session, when I've booted back into fedora 12,
> it has found the fedora 13 partition needed orphan inodes
> cleaned up.
>
> I thought the shutdown button was supposed to induce
> a clean shutdown? What's with the journal problems?

I normally boot F13 and Rawhide using runlevel 3, and shutdown with the halt
command.  Sometimes, when it's trying to unmount disks just before powering
down, I'll see "/ is busy", and next time I boot, there are often a few orphan
inodes.  I'd guess you're experiencing the same problem and that it has nothing
to do with how you're shutting down.  I have no idea what causes it but haven't
noticed any associated problems, either.