F12: computer switches off after testing updates

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Mar 25 13:10:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 09:08:32 +0100,
  Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com> wrote:

> Log in to liveCD, mount your f12 partition somewhere, mount --bind the
> current /proc to it, chroot to it and do yum update \*udev\*. The new
> udev fixed it. (I've done this exact procedure, albeit from F13 instead
> of LiveCD.) The udev version that works for me is:
>
> udev-145-19.fc12.i686

That's pretty much what I did as well. I also bind mount /sys and /dev and
mount other filesystems (such as /boot). For luks encrypted partitions
you need to use cryptsetup luksOpen before you can mount. You might also
need to mess with your network settings if you use static IPs.

Other people had success by adding a kernel parameter to run a shell instead
of the normal init and then either blacklisted the watchdog timer or modified
a udev rule to prevent the reboots.