Installing ten days of upgrades leaves system unusable

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 3 15:57:17 UTC 2010

I was away on a trip for ten days, so I left the fc13 test system up, running as
a webcam server. It worked flawlessly, I was able to review security videos from
the "motion" app and verify that no one unauthorized was in secure areas.

When I got back this morning I installed available x86_64 upgrades from the last
ten days. Now USB webcams don't work (several crashes submitted via abrt), at
all, meaning that I get to move the security app to another machine I was hoping
to free up.

In addition the graphics (Intel based, this is not a game machine) are painfully
slow, having dropped from ~1k/fps in glxgears to 60, and displays of anything
graphic coming up at sand painting speed. This has to be the worst X upgrade
I've ever seen, video is totally impossible, I'm estimating 30 frames per
*minute* now.

I know a new release will have bugs, but I would expect the upgrades to fix bugs
found, not add new ones for our amusement. FC13 looked really solid when
released, I should have stopped upgrading the kernel and X while they were at
the high point of their usefulness cycle.

I see all the unfixed bugs from fc11 are being marked WONTFIX, the bugs have
been around since FC9 at least, no one has been assigned, and I guess nfs isn't
a hot spot any more.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>