Pre-upgrade to F13Beta can't find my root filesystem

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue May 4 21:05:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 16:34 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 05/04/2010 02:06 PM, James Laska wrote:
> > If you are attempting to upgrade from Fedora 10 (which is end of life),
> > you'll likely want to use a Fedora 13 boot.iso or DVD.  The latest
> > preupgrade packages are not available for EOL'd versions of Fedora.
> > It's possible you could take the latest preupgrade code [1], and rebuild
> > and run it on your Fedora 10 system.  But your mileage will vary.
>
> Yes, yes, yes.  It has already downloaded the necessary F13 packages,
> and the installer can't find my root partition to mount.  I was hoping
> someone could tell me *what* it was looking for that it couldn't find,
> and what I could do to help it find it....  All it needs to do is mount
> the necessary partitions and then start the installations.  Somewhere
> there is a script or program that would logically be the next step(s), I
> was hoping someone could point them out to me....
>
> I suppose I could just mount them by hand at that point, and to the RPM
> updates by hand....  I was hoping for a more automated process that
> would work.

preupgrade is the automated process.  You'll likely need to get your
hands dirty to work around any issues that are resolved in newer
preupgrade releases.

You can try building and running the latest preupgrade on your Fedora 10
system.

Or, you can try playing with the boot arguments preupgrade setup.  I
don't have them listed in front of me at the moment, but you need to
tell the installer where to find the packages on disk (repo=), and where
to find the stage#2 install image (stage2=).

Acceptable values for both parameters are listed at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda_Boot_Options

Thanks,
James