INFO: possible recursive locking detected - 2.6.33.2-57.fc13.i686 #1

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed May 5 04:55:51 UTC 2010

On 05/05/2010 12:36 AM, James Laska wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> While running through tests in the installation matrix
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Installation_Test),
> I keep seeing different versions of the "INFO: possible recursive
> locking detected" message.  For example, I see the below during
> successful completion of a KVM guest install (see below).
>
> Is anyone else seeing these?  Anyone have tips/suggestions on where to
> gather more information to further diagnose these messages?

I think this all started with this happy new year commit..

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=846f99749ab68bbc7f75c74fec305de675b1a1bf

When I shutdown I get "K99cpuspeed is trying to acquire lock" one (
which I actually think might be cpu(freq) specific since I've only seen
it my lenovo laptop )
( Both have been reported upstream I think and our bugzilla ).

If this was some kind of targeted effort finding these deadlocks, the
kernel guys they would have asked us to throw up a special wiki page and
a tracker bug to keep tap of this stuff sometime in January..

Other than that I think these are slowly being handle on a case by case
bases.

Good think for reporters to keep in the back of their head if they are
having trouble seeing the print k message.
echo N > /proc/sys/kernel/printk_delay ( N is 0-10000 in milliseconds ).

Kernel guys can chime what their end game is and what they want to do
with these..

JBG