VMware Server configuration question

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Thu May 6 18:20:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 08:13 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 13:41 +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 23:16 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> >
> > > I'm no kernel hacker, but I suspect there's been a significant --
> > > possibly structural -- change to the kernel that's confusing the
> > > configuration script.
> > >
> > > It's going to be important to find a fix for this, especially if RHEL6
> > > is based on a similar kernel.
> >
> > This not at all uncommon with VMware, they often lag behind kernel
> > updates. There's something called the any-any patch which usually
> > addresses this, but by the looks of my quick Google, it hasn't been
> > updated much lately. Dunno what the cool kids are using these days.
>
> Adam,
>
> I don't know either. The most recent any-any patch I've been able to
> find was 117. It was probably suitable for F10.
>
> The reason I want to get VMware Server up and running ASAP is Rob Lee's
> new SIFT 2.0 forensics package. Looks like a "must have" for anybody in
> the security biz.
>
> In the mean time I guess I'm between a rock and a hard place. F13 would
> be a natural host, but it's still beta so VMware won't even look at it.
> I was hoping one of the F13 kernel guys spotted my post and remembered
> something. Oh well.....

We ran into this quite a while back and decided to stop trying to fight
the battle.

...So we switched everything over to ESXi Free Edition and haven't
looked back since. Runs great - in fact quite a bit better than VMware
Server at this point. Most likely this is because it's much more
actively maintained. We're currently on Version 4.0 Update 1.

Cheers,

Chris

"Only two things are infinite,
the universe and human stupidity,