VMware Server configuration question

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu May 6 22:37:32 UTC 2010

On 05/06/2010 11:18 AM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 22:11 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> OK....Let's recap here....
>>
>> First, not sure if you want F13 as the "host" or the "guest"....  But
>> the latest VMware server is, as you say, V2.0.2 and the latest build was
>> on 27 October 2009.  So, you have a closed source application....which
>> was released well before F13 and you want what?
>>
>> But, maybe you are interested in downloading and using the "SIFT
>> Workstation VMware Appliance"?  If so, what is the relationship between
>> it and F13?  AFAIK, the appliance will work as a VMware Server Appliance
>> and as long as you have VMware server installed...on any platform, it
>> will be just fine.  I don't think there is any such thing as a "natural
>> host" in the context.
> Ed,
>
> F13 will be the host with the SIFT package as a client VM pre-built for
> VMware Server. I'm trying to get past this obstacle blocking my
> installation and configuration of VM/S on F13. I fully understand the
> fluid nature of the respective releases. VMware doesn't guarantee their
> products will work with any partiular Fedora, but sooner or later
> someone has always figured out how to make it work. In this case, with
> similar kernels, there's the "carrot" of RHEL6 to get them to update
> VM/S to make it compatible with F13.

Have you found this site:

> http://radu.cotescu.com/2010/01/19/how-to-install-vmware-server-ubuntu-fedora-opensuse/

I was reading it to find out how to get VMWare-server running on F12....
 It contains pointers to a couple of shell scripts that can be pulled
apart and applied by hand if necessary.  It is purportedly said to work
on a 2.6.31 kernel for F12, not sure if it will work yet on the current
2.6.32 kernel in F12.  Not sure if there is more that will break it in
F13....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com