VMware Server configuration question

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sat May 8 13:32:32 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 18:46 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 22:25 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> > > Chris,
> > >
> > > Time for me to waive the Ignorance flag... I'm not familiar with ESXi
> > > Free Edition, but I'm downloading it now. Can you give me an off-list
> > > summary of how it differs from Server? Have you successfully installed
> > > it under F13beta?
> >
> > Sure...!
> >
> > ESXi Free Edition is the free version of VMware ESX/ESXi Server - the
> > same one that comes in their flagship vSphere 4. It does have several
> > features that are disabled compared to the full version of ESXi though,
> > but is still very solid as an entry level platform.
> >
> [snip]
> [snip]
>
> Chris,
>
> So, if I understand you correctly, ESXi would replace F13 as the host
> OS. If I wanted to run F13 I would have to install it as a guest. I
> could also install the SIFT client as another guest. Probably a ragged
> analogy, but that would make ESXi rather like a CaTV settop box that
> allows me to watch any installed guest I want??

Yes - That's exactly the case. ESXi would be the host and you could run
as many guests as you have resources on the computer (RAM, Disk, CPU,
and Network bandwidth) as can handle all of them.

My experience is that F13 is a very well-behaved guest in VMware
Workstation. I haven't tried it yet on ESXi (maybe I can this weekend),
but I would expect it to be the same. I have run F12 as a guest with no
issues on ESXi, and I have also run F13 as a guest under VMware
Workstation with no issues at all. In fact, I always test the early
releases of the next version of Fedora as a VM in Workstation first.

Cheers,

Chris